Sunday, April 25, 2010

Do you have to go to a dermatologist for a skin cancer screening?

My husband really wants me to be check for it, well he has wanted me to for years. I actually went when I was 17, but they wouldn't do it without a parent and I didn't have a parent that could/would go with me at the time. I'm 23 now, so that isn't an issue. I'm just wondering if they can test for it at a regular doctor or if they have free screenings sometimes because the dermatologist is always so booked. What all does screening include? My dr at 17 was going to remove most of my moles to test them. Is that what they have to do?Do you have to go to a dermatologist for a skin cancer screening?
G'day Mr and Mrs G,





Thank you for your question.





The Skin Cancer Foundation has a physician finder here.





http://www.skincancer.org/apps/physician鈥?/a>





If necessary, I would check with your doctor as he could advise which moles present likely problems.





According to the American College of Preventative Medicine, ';Skin cancer screening involves a 2- to 3-minute visual inspection of the patient's entire body (total cutaneous examination or TCE), including the scalp, hands, and feet. Inclusion of questions regarding sun exposure, sun protection, and family history of melanoma in the clinical history, as well as educating at-risk patients on signs, symptoms, and prevention of skin malignancy, is often included in TCE. TCE is preferable to examining only the sunlight-exposed areas of the body because of its ability to detect more lesions.';





Your doctor should be able to do that. He or she may then recommend that you have a further screening. You can also arrange for a free screening by looking at the About.com link.





I have attached sources for your reference.





RegardsDo you have to go to a dermatologist for a skin cancer screening?
Seeing a dermatologist will be your best bet. That doctor is specialized and highly trained in the areas pertaining to skin health and diseases. Most times they do a complete body screening and take biopsies of any areas that look questionable and may be a cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment