Monday, December 14, 2009

What are the steps to becoming a dermatologist?

I have already graduated high school...I am 21 almost turning 22. I have wasted a lot of time because of stupid mistakes and not knowing what I want to do in college. I am pretty positive about being a dermatologist, and want to know exactly what I need to do from here. I need to know everything, like what to major in and what classes I should be taking. Thank you!What are the steps to becoming a dermatologist?
You need to complete an undergraduate degree, however, the major does not matter as long as you complete the classes that are pre-requisites by all medical schools (i.e. general chemistry, organic chemistry, physiology, physics, etc). You have to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT). Then apply to medical school which will evaluate your grades, MCAT, extra-curricular activities, research, etc. Keeping in mind that the acceptance rate into medical school is very low because it is very competitive. Medical school is 4 years long and after which you have to apply to and get accepted into a dermatology program which is another 4 years. Dermatology is one of the most if not the most competitive residency programs to get into. It is on par with that of plastic surgery, neurosurgery, etc.What are the steps to becoming a dermatologist?
you have to register to a college as a pre med student


then you go to med school if accepted


then you specialize in dermatology
  • how to apply
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment